Wednesday, November 1, 2006

This one's for Mom, kid

I know last night was Halloween and my large readership ('sup Katy) is probably anticipating gobs of cute pictures of H-man eating gobs of candy, but you'll just have to wait. Believe it or not, I have been having cool things happening around here and that's what you're going to be hearing about right now.

The junior high English teacher in me had to pause for a moment here. I have a couple options as far as essay structure to choose between. Should I begin with the most exciting and then let my energy taper off, reminiscent of an inverted pyramid? Or should I really build this thing, starting with the least of the points I want to make and then let it come to a frenzied climax to help illustrate just how exciting my week has been? Hmmmm. Okay, I've made up my mind.

I got a job. Kind of. I'm going to be doing some part time proofing work for a publisher nearby. I got my first manuscript today. It's about the history of guns in America. It's still all packaged up in the front seat of my car. I just laid Harrison down and I'm going to go start on it as soon as I finish up here. I'm excited about having a little something to do, deadlines to meet, a little extra cash, etc. It's especially wonderful to know that someone is willing to pay me to read about guns. What kind of fantastic world do we live in?

On some kind of new job high, as I drove home from picking up the manuscript I (on a whim) dropped H-man off at Dan's office and went and got my hair cut. It's not dramatically different or anything; just less Laura Ingles Wilder--frontier woman-esque. About 7 inches came off of the back, but not nearly as much from the sides and front. My hair must grow faster back there. It feels good to not have as much dead weight.

These things are good. But as I look back at my week, one thing really stands out above the rest. I made chicken noodle soup from scratch. It was pretty good. Probably not the best I've ever had, but good enough for me to consider it a success. What is so amazing is that for the first time in my married life I bought a WHOLE RAW CHICKEN, roasted it, boiled it, pulled all the meat off of it, and used it in my soup. I skimmed fat. It was an important day in the Gilbert household. If I can work with an entire chicken and do the things I did to it (did you know it comes with a little packet of unmentionable meat waiting for you in the "cavity"?) then I'm pretty much capable of anything. Doors have opened for me. I carry myself with a touch of boldness and arrogance that wasn't there before. I have fought the poultry and I have come out of the fray as a conqueror. Thanksgiving dinner? Please. Bring it on.

8 comments:

Becca said...

With all your homemaking chicken cooking skills, perhaps you should have kept the Laura Ingalls Wilder hair style. ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have had a busy week! Speaking of Thanksgiving I am so excited for everyone to come up! I miss all of you guys so much! Love ya!!

Anonymous said...

One can only imagine the pride I feel in having such a daughter in law. One who can turn a chicken carcass into a delicious pot of soup deserves respect and reverence. Reading a manuscript about guns in America sounds about as gripping as one about the use of manure in making compost but congratulations on your new job!! A great and perfect job for you! Mom G.

jamie said...

so i'm jealous that you have conquered homemade chicken soup. It is a dream of mine, but i'm so intimidated. maybe i can turn it into a reality with your inspiration. well done, well done. - jamie

Anonymous said...

Where is the picture of your reduced mane? And about the unmentionable bag of chicken parts...they can be prepared very deliciously, Jenny Lee! Nothing better than chicken or turkey giblet gravy.

We're so happy that our little girl has turned into a REAL WOMAN!! We never doubted that you'd make it. And though the history of guns doesn't trip MY trigger (this is mom of course)I know that you love learning about all things so this will be perfect. We're proud of you! Congrats!

Love,
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Doris just showed me your blog. What fun and what a CUTE BABY.
Millie

Ender said...

dude, what is this whole writing with no visual confirmation crap? blogs were never meant, and never will be mind you, for just text [said in the most sarcastic tone possible].
but for real, it appears that harrison will be joining the respected ranks of the 'Major Eaters' at thanksgiving (yes, my title case IS correct).

hmmmm..nothing more to say.

Anonymous said...

Jen, if you don't try to publish some of your writings you're crazy. The best creative, clever, witty, and yet down to earth that I've read in a long time. You and Shelly both have a great talent,
Love you all
A big kiss for H
Grandma Dot