Thursday, April 24, 2008

Psst! I've got a secret!

Okay, you may have attributed my silence on the web all to busy mom stuff. But I've got to tell you what is taking up all my spare minutes right now. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a cheapo about a lot of things. Why did none of you introduce me to the art of the coupon? Seriously, looking back I think I was an obvious candidate. Think what could have been clipped and saved if I'd started on this obsessive road years ago. I've been doing it for a couple of months now I think, and it's hilarious how giddy I can get about it all. For instance, take the picture below. On this particular Saturday morning, Dan and I made a couple of stops (Target and Kroger, and got everything pictured for $30 and change. If you were to look closely, you'd see that there are 32 items there, and some are bigger ticket items, like 4 jars of peanut butter, cheese, 3 lbs of beef, bags of apples, etc. It's absolutely fascinating to see what you can get for ultra cheap and free. We've got Pepperidge Farm Goldfish coming out our ears because we hit a big sale where we could get them for $.50 each, and then we had COUPONS, so they were FREE! I've taken the goal of trying for a percentage savings of greater than 50% everytime I shop. With a little planning I usually hit around 57%, but on my trip to Publix two days ago I hit a new record of just over 70%! See what I mean? I'm totally obsessed. And don't get me started on what you can get for free if you're willing to jump some rebate hoops. I don't think I'll have to buy toothpaste or toothbrushes for a long time. Anyway, I thought I'd hang out a little dirty laundry today so you know what I'm really up to.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Okay, I'm intrigued. You are going to have to teach me everything you know!

Michelle said...

Okay, I'm intrigued. You are going to have to teach me everything you know!

Michelle said...

Okay, I'm intrigued. You are going to have to teach me everything you know!

Michelle said...

Sorry about that. I guess I'm a bit impatient!

Flee said...

I love the art on "couponing" I am so excited about all the money I will be saving! YAY for coupons!

Sadie Love said...

Jen I love it! This could have taken up a lot of our time when I was not working that is. How are you and the boys? I miss you. much love
sadie

Jessica said...

I am so impressed. I can't even express it. I need some tips in being frugal - I'm a little out of control.

Kent Kate & Afton said...

Wow! That is pretty good. I think your next post should be instructions on how to get such sweet deals.

Anonymous said...

Good deals but most of it is junky food!!

CassieJoshandAiden said...

There are so many reasons why I love you, and this is just one of them!!! 6 cake mixes, Jen?!!?