Thursday, July 16, 2009

I spy with my little eye....


We just hit another milestone that breaks my heart a little bit. Recently, Harrison started going crossed-eyed so I took him into the optometrist. The doctor announced that Harrison had the worst far-sightedness he'd seen in 16 years of practice. SO, we got some pretty thick little glasses and he's been adjusting to them for the last day-and-a-half. He's a trooper and takes the whole thing very seriously.

Somehow, as a mom, it's just upsetting to know that he's struggled for that long, unable to perceive the world in the way he should. I'm really happy that we're able to fix that for him. But then, on the other side, is how I feel everytime I look at him in his new glasses. They magnify his eyes dramatically, and it makes him seem like an entirely different person. He seems more vulnerable and I want to protect him every way possible. He confided to my sister Katy that his glasses aren't cool, and I find myself faced with what I'm sure every parent has to deal with, but just a little bit earlier than I thought I'd have to. It's not that I want to fix him; I just want to make this world perfect and safe so that it can't hurt him, you know?

Anyway, I'm sure I'm getting just way too emotional about a rite of passage that tons of us have gone through. Here are some pics of my little star rocking his new specs.

6 comments:

Flee said...

He is so sweet! He's going to be a rockin' kid no matter what he wears. Love the specs Harrison! :)

Michelle said...

Adorable! I know exactly how you feel about the wanting to protect your kids thing...it's hard to not be able to cushion them forever. Luke cam home from 1st or 2nd grade and said, "Mom, do you know how popular I am?........(I'm puffing up with pride just thinking about how cool it is that he feels accepted and awesome)... and then he says, "NOT AT ALL!!" Ha :)

Such a sweet time to enjoy right now. We love you! And I absolutely love the playlist choice...I'm going to add some Christopher Cross to mine right now!!

mom gilbert said...

I think he Harrison is looking very sophisticated for one so young..handsome -like Indiana Jones! Life is full of great things to see- I am glad he can now see it all. Love you all. Mom

Kent Kate & Afton said...

Tell handsome Harrison that I am in the glasses club too!!!

CassieJoshandAiden said...

He looks like SUCH a big boy! So glad that he is seeing the world much better!

Brittany said...

Oh sweet Harrison!!!!! Jen, you are the best Mother ever! No need to feel at all embarrassed by getting emotional about this new stage. Harrison we adore you and your super cool new glasses. If you think about it Superman wears glasses during the day when he is Clark Kent. So basically Harrison you are SUPERMAN!