Monday, September 3, 2007

How do you like me now?



I'm not sure that the relationship my mother and I have is totally normal, but I have a feeling it is not super unusual. The aspect of it I'm pondering right now is my mother's reaction when she heard through the grapevine that I was painting an antique dresser that had belonged to my great-great grandfather. I got one of those voice mails that didn't mention the REAL reason she was calling, but when I called her back it didn't take too long for the truth to come out. She was concerned. Why not just stain it, she said. Well, I can't get into everything, but it would have been a VERY tedious job to strip and stain this thing. It had already sustained enough damage that I knew it didn't have any real "antique" value, and I just wanted it to look nice enough and function well enough that it became something I enjoyed owning, instead of a rickety thing that sat empty in my bedroom (which has been its function for the last year).


Anyway, I knew mom was a doubter. She tried as gently as she could to change my mind. Granted, I guess she has cause to worry. I have shown in the past a love of flamboyant color. I'm sure lots of people would not paint their child's room the shade of green that covers Harrison's walls. Maybe she thought I was going to go purple--I don't know. But anyway, today Dan and I finished up our little dresser project. After a couple of trips to Lowe's and the Depot, Dan was even able to rework the original hardware so that it was sturdy and usable. We're both pleased as punch at how it turned out and wanted to show it off here. I'm hoping, Mom, that we did you right and you find it an improvement.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

I absolutely love it! I think you did a great job! Ummm, is that you looking suspiciously high from the stain fumes that I'm sure you inhaled from putting the stain over the paint? I hope your unborn baby isn't in your belly listening to Bob Marley right now. That would be something to be concerned about.

Anonymous said...

IT looks every bit as beautiful as I imagined it after Dan told me what you had done. Paint can be stripped off if someone wants it to be stained again. Grandma Putnam stripped many pieces that had been painted with wonderful results... I am not suggesting that you do that...I really think it is great. You two do nice work!

Brittany said...

Wow Jen..I cant believe how nice it looks!! (not saying that I would have expected it to be anything but wonderful) Todd and I have some stuff I think you could do wonders with so if you ever want to come to Utah you now have an excuse!! Great job guys!!!

Michelle said...

Jen-
It looks gorgeous! You guys are sooo handy!