Saturday, June 12, 2010

What's in a name? That which we call a rose...


As long as I've known Truman to talk, he has called Harrison by the name of "Ya-ya." That's cool. Tru isn't the leader in the toddler-speech field and actually hasn't even mastered the shortened (let alone full-length) version of his own name.

So, I'm used to the Ya-ya thing. Not exactly a fan, but what IS one to do? And truth be told, I've caught myself even using the misnomer every now and then. The other night though, Truman really took it to the next level as he asked for help getting the last firefly out of his jar. I was just close enough to catch: "You do it, Ya-ya James, you do it."


What do you think--does he look like a Ya-ya James?


Speaking of Mr. Harrison James, he is getting quite the reputation in the neighborhood. His literal girl-next-door BFF Chloe was over the other day watching me give Dan a haircut. She obviously hadn't seen this do-it-yourself approach before and was eyeing me pretty intensely. When I switched guards on the clippers she wanted to know why I needed to do that. With H-man around, I don't have to trouble myself with trivial explanations of that sort; he's on it. He jumped right in, explaining that the guards were different sizes and changed how short or long I cut the hair. Chloe listened to the pretty much spot-on answer to her query, then sighed and solemnly said to me, "He knows everything."


Of course he does--he's Ya-ya James.

9 comments:

Kent and Kate said...

We like the name here in Utah! We are also wondering if Ya-ya is the name of one of the kids on "The Sandlot". I am very happy you updated, but now all I want is more pictures of those boys.

Flee said...

I just love those boys! I can't wait to see them next month. Lizzy is so excited about it, she talks about it alot.

Christi said...

Snicker. I thought of Sandlot, too. And I thought of traveling pants (although I haven't read it).

Teresa and Terry said...

Love the stories and the pics! I am so used to Ya-ya that I too have used it a few times. Precious. Keep writing please.

Brittany said...

Oh my goodness! The boys are adorable and SO big. It just makes me miss them that much more. Ya-ya James. LOVE IT! Love you sister!

Michelle said...

How have I never known that Leah and Harrison had the same knickname??!! That's what Leah used to call herself when she was little....and it stuck.

I'm so glad you're blogging again....give Ya-ya and Tru kisses for me :)

CassieJoshandAiden said...

So cute! I love the new pics of your boys and hearing how things are going with the Gilberts!

Teresa and Terry said...

Jenni Lee, you and Dan have two - too cute little boys. We love having you and them at our house. The place kind of perks up when you are here. They will be growing up way too fast. Enjoy them now. love you, Dad

Dani said...

I'm so happy to see you blogging again!!! miss you guys