Monday, July 2, 2007

Garden Pride or Garden Panic?


I love putting in the garden. I could putt all day. Except for the middle part when it's beastly hot. But I like the watering, the light weeding, the picking of a nice little bit of produce. I even like picking beans. Really. And the snapping is fun too. Harrison and I have a system where I take the ends off and then hand the bean to him and he grunts and bends it till it breaks in half. But my pleasure has mutated to something close to panic right now. As I was out picking beans and watching Dan pick tomatoes from our eight plants (what was I thinking) I found myself wording an email to my neighbors in my head asking them to please come relieve us of some of these vegetables. The corn has just come in and it's delicious! But there's a lot of it. As I write this, Harrison is out eating raw corn on the cob and strolling the rows. Don't even get me started on the zucchini and cucumbers. My zucchini bread loaf count is currently an even 20, with enough shredded for the next batch of four loaves awaiting me in the fridge. See how easy it is to get feeling overwhelmed? I've got no time for blogging, people; I'm baking bread with homegrown vegetables here!

So, if anyone who's reading this is within visiting distance...we've got vegetables.

2 comments:

Flee said...

Oh! I am so jealous! I would love to have a garden full of fresh veggies! I can't wait to have a garden of my own. Miss you guys!

Michelle said...

I was one of the lucky recipients of a zucchini loaf and it was yummy! You'll have to shift into Mom-mode, Jen! We've seen her in a garden panic before, and girl, she knows how to handle it.