Tuesday, December 12, 2006

An eggnog musing

It's funny the very strong response you seem to always get when you ask someone if they like eggnog. It elicits such emotion. I am among the eggnog passionate; hence, I am sitting here drinking an embarrassingly large mug of it RIGHT NOW. In order to justify this caloric monstrosity, I've mixed up the ol' half and half that some wise person taught me in my college days. That's right--half eggnog, half skim milk. Thus I am enjoying twice the amount of swallows of holiday deliciousness while not consuming any extra fat. Brilliant, you say? Oh, stop....



So here's what has been going on at our house:
  • I just finished another proofing job. It was a self-help/motivational thingy and I enjoyed it. I felt kind of guilty turning in my invoice because I didn't feel like I'd done any work. Yeah!
  • Harrison seems to be able to communicate with me better every day. My friend, Tenniel, babysat him yesterday and got quite a kick out of him. She said, "He just kept eating! He'd see some food and say 'num-num,' so I'd give him some and then he'd do his sign language for 'more'. It made me wonder if I'm starving my boy because I kept thinking we were done, but no, 'more, more, more'!" That made me glad that he can tell me when he's hungry. He also is getting really good at giving kisses. Not to people so much as pictures and toys. When he sees a kitty in a book he likes to lay a sloppy wet one right on the page. He does the same thing when he sees pictures of himself. A little narcissistic, but adorable nonetheless.
  • Dad G blessed us with a visit today all the way from Michigan. He did some builder/construction stuff with Dan and then took us out to dinner. He's leaving first thing in the morning, but it was so fun for Harrison to show off his walking skills to Grandpa. It's just amazing how fast they change.
  • Dan and I have decided on the Christmas tradition that we want to start with Harrison and have it be our thing. People always ask what traditions your family has for the holidays, and I want to make sure Harrison will have a good answer. We might start it as early as tomorrow night. I'll let you wait in suspense for now as to what it is. Maybe I'll get some good guesses that'll be even better than what we came up with. I'm open to suggestions....

Alright, another night is coming to a close and I still have not made an attempt at a Christmas card letter. Starting to feel the pressure, but evidently not enough to actually sit down and write it. There's time, right?

8 comments:

Rob-O said...

Ahh the love of eggnog. Bren and I are on our second carton of it. I must say the H man is a cutie. i like the picture of him in front of the christmas tree in the red little stocking cap. Reminds me somewhat of the guy on Christmas story. Oh, this is the best time of year.

Michelle said...

The "half and half" comment sparked a moment of alarm, as I thought you mixed half and half with your eggnog. The thought was almost enough to make me put on a couple of pounds. I'll have to try your concoction. Your new tradition...hmmmmm...I have no idea, but knowing you three, it is tons of fun. (and might I guess it involves stories and a cozy perch by the fire?
)

jbg said...

I guess it's true, there are two kinds of people in this world...those that love eggnog and those that don't. I am a non-eggnog drinker. can't do it. i've tried and for years my mother made me believe i was an eggnogger-but it was a lie. I have heard that Sprite with eggnog is quite yummy. i'll take their word on it. as for the tradition-i can't wait to hear what it is. You guys are so clever! :)

Anonymous said...

Jenl, I hospe you got the email I forwarded today-especially about eggnog and NEVER try to water it down with skim milk!!Tis the season to indulge, enjoy, and put on pounds!!Granddad Patton dearly loved it and really-drink up-for it's the only time of year it's available unless you make your own.
That Harrison is the MOST in that red outfit by the fireplace

Becca said...

I'll make a guess about your new family tradition...

Is it The Annual Christmas Egg Nog Chug contest?

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing that it is the traditional reading of "The Night Before Christmas". Grandma Dot will experience the tradition the first time this year at our house!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Jen, i love your blog. it may be slightly stalkerish that i check it out, so i hope you don't mind.:) glad to hear the family is doing well. have a good holiday!

Kent and Kate said...

I love egg nog as well!!! But there is one problem with it I drink it like I drink water! So by the time I realize how much I have had it is already about a 1,000 cals too late! I like the skim milk mixing idea!