Friday, January 5, 2007

A new kind of Christmas



A rather intense looking Scrabble game.

















Leah, Luke, Josh and Harrison know fine craftsmanship when they see it. Seriously, how many kids get fabulous custom-made furniture by their grandpa and great-grandpa? So precious.


The holidays really took on a whole different feel now that Harrison is conscious of what is going on around him. It was absolutely wonderful to have so much family come and stay; I was positively spoiled. Let me see if I can hit some of the highlights of the last couple weeks...



  • I prepared a somewhat simple, but satisfying Christmas dinner almost by myself. Doris had to help me out with the turkey (umm, and she did the gravy completely without me....come to think of it, how much did I REALLY do?). Anyway, it was all really low stress and I was able to enjoy everything without freaking out (which is always a possibility with me, bless Dan's heart).

  • Lauren won the scrabble tournament.

  • Sudoko was attempted by every adult that was here. My side of the family TOTALLY needs to be brushing up. Come on, guys.

  • I watched my "sweet" baby boy bully his darling cousin Jake any chance he could. It was horrifying. Dan and I are already checking out some very promising military schools.

  • The new year was rung in with Dan snoring next to me while I sudokued (can I verb that?)

  • The Michigan bowl game did not come close to meeting expectations. The only thing that saved bowl day for me was the huge air mattress we still had blown up in front of the tv. I was shelling my peanuts in the lusciousness of a feather bed and a giant pillow. It took the edge off the pain.

  • I was able to pass on the legacy of completely awesome college (and first four years of marriage) cookware to Katy. I'm not sure she was able to fathom its coolness yet.

  • Dan made me a gorgeous headboard. I can't believe the craftsman he's turning out to be. He's already whipped up a frame for the painting Dad did for us for above our mantle. It's extra special since Dad did it just for me and now there's a piece of Dan up there with it every time I look at it.

  • Watching Harrison play with all his Christmas gifts is just too fun. I don't think there was one thing that he doesn't seem to love playing with. He just adores giving hugs to the giggly little gingerbread man that Uncle Elg sent, and he is all about the car and train and bus he got. He's a sucker for anything with wheels. Just today we were reading a book Lauren gave him and it has taught him to stick his tongue out. Love ya, Lauren!

  • I started an herb garden on my counter! My parents got me a little kit and I just got it going today. I'm soooo excited. Honestly, it's kind of weird how excited I am for them to grow. Watch out, I'm gonna have chives any ol' time I want to.

  • Dan and I have been watching the first season of Battlestar Galactica courtesy of Kyle. I never would have guessed it, but I might have the makings of a Trekkie.

  • I'm saving the coolest for last---Harrison does real kisses now! His buddy Hunter gave him his first pets for Christmas (two little fishies) and he promptly started making a puckered up fish face every time he saw them. The fish face has morphed in the last couple of days into sweet little kisses when I ask for them. He still hasn't put it together that he's supposed to be touching me with his lips, but he'll walk toward me kissing, which might be even cuter.


Anyway, thank you to all of you who were able to share the holidays with us. It was fantastic. And we missed everybody else. Truly. I would have smoked y'all at Sudoku--I was on a crazy winning streak.

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Hunter made the blog! It is a huge day for us over at our house. We woke up Hunter, rang bells and read the sentence he was in over and over and over....