Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday night at the Gilbert house

Hmmm. The posts are not just popping into my head yet, so I'll just give a brief rundown of the most exciting things going on around here tonight and then post a couple more totally adorable Christmas vacay shots.

--Our cat is fat. Truly. Rocky has been hefty for a while, but the neighbor boy that we left entrusted our feline family member to must have misunderstood how many times a day he eats (once) because we came back to a little lardo. It's shocking how much weight a cat can put on in a short amount of time. I think he kept right up with Dan and I's holiday weight gain, and he is a fraction of our body mass.

--Our Trubador is sick. Yucky goopy eyes, fever, nasty nose, coughing, and some pretty bad wheezing. I ran into Walgreens with him tonight and he must be getting enough air despite the wheeze because he threw a tantrum any toddler twice his age would have been proud of. If there were any of those said toddlers lurking in far corners of the store, I'm sure they heard and WERE proud of him. We had him take a long steamy shower, glopped him up with baby Vicks, and put him to bed with the humidifier. There is nothing harder for a mom to look at than a sick baby.

--Our H-man is systematic. I'm coming to love the sounds of Harrison getting ready for bed. I could almost predict every sound right before I hear it. Drawer slides open. Clunk of stuff. Quiet for a few seconds as he unscrews his pre-brush mouth wash. Phbbbbb (spitting it out). Smack of lips and deep breath. More quiet as toothbrush is prepared. Vigorous brushing. Vigorous spitting. Water. More smacks. More clunks. Then a whoosh of the drawer as it closes again with a satisfying finality.
Maybe it's because I had a hand it picking them out, but the Christmas Eve cousin jammies were just about the cutest EVER. The kids knew it. They loved 'em.
Speaking of love, Tru adored his little partner-in-crime cuz, Danger Joan. I mean, Afton. They were hilarious together and it's all I can do not to move to Utah just so I can see them like that all the time. When they had their matching pj's on, I kept getting them mixed up. They're the same size with about the same amount and color of hair. They totally could have pulled a Sweet Valley High switch and gotten away with it.

4 comments:

Kent and Kate said...

I am very happy that you are blogging again. I love how you write. You make even the every day interesting!

I two loved seeing the twins together. Those pictures make me smile and want us all to move to Iowa. "I've got IOWA in my eyes and ears and nose" (Is that how it goes?)

Kent and Kate said...

I mean too. Not two. sorry

Flee said...

That is so cute! I love/miss those boys. Way to keep up with the postings. Good work.

Michelle said...

Sweet Valley High----!! :) There aren't many things that haven't crossed my mind in over a decade, but this would be one of them. A lost treasure.